Sunday, June 23, 2013

No-Bake Granola Bites

Good afternoon! 

I first tried these when my friend Kelsey brought a batch to work and was kind enough to share some with me... I was hooked immediately! Since then, I have seen a ton of different variations of these little guys. With the increasing awareness of all the unnatural (to put it lightly) ingredients often contained in most commercially available granola bars, what was once believed to be a healthy snack is quickly losing its good reputation. What is more, with new recipes for no-bake home-made versions popping up everywhere, making them at home is easier than ever, I promise!

What I think makes my personal version special is the use of chia seeds; native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala, these seeds are becoming increasingly popular due to their high content of calcium, phosphorous, manganese, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber! They are known for boosting energy, stabilizing blood sugar, aiding digestion, and lowering cholesterol. A definite 'Superfood'. And as if that were not enough, I incorporated another superfood: ground flax seeds, which are also known for their high content of omega-3 fatty acids and dietary fiber. So give it a try!






Ingredients:


  • 1 1/2 cups of quick oats
  • 1 cup rice krispies
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
  • 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips
  • 1/2 small banana (mashed)
  • 1/4 cup RAW* almond butter
  • 1 tbsp agave nectar (I use maple flavour, but can use any variety)



Directions:


In one medium size bowl mix all the dry ingredients. In a separate small bowl combine the mashed banana, almond butter and agave nectar, mix well. Add this mixture onto dry ingredients and stir until evenly combined (I usually start with a spoon and go in with my hands towards the end to make sure all the oats are moistened). Shape batter into balls of about 11/2 inches in diameter, and voila! They are ready! I usually get about 20 bites. They keep well in the fridge for about a week. For longer storage, keep them in the freezer. 

Optional: you can  add any chopped nuts you like and/or play with the ratio of the ingredients.

*I just want to quickly emphasize the use of raw nut butters in general. I will expand on this later, but there is an important reason why we should avoid all roasted nuts and only consume them in their raw, unsalted form.



Enjoy!



~Milu   




 

1 comment:

  1. I love new recipe ideas but will also be following your fantastic culinary photography. Congrats this is great!

    ReplyDelete